Foreign fellows must organise their own travel to Belgium (visa, permits, tickets,
etc.). If necessary, VLAC can provide letters of invitations for the embassy or
other official agencies.
Round-trip travel costs to and from Brussels will be reimbursed only once on presentation
of documents showing actual expenses involved and proof of payment. Expenses above
rates for APEX airfare (or an equivalent), costs of excess luggage and insurance,
and travel expenses for family members will not be reimbursed.
Travel costs to institutes and universities in Flanders during the fellowship will
be reimbursed on presentation of the original documents.
In order to accommodate its foreign fellows, VLAC rents spacious and completely
furnished apartments in the vicinity of the Academy for the duration of the fellowship.
All the apartments have:
- a fully equipped kitchen with refrigerator, stove, oven, etc;
- a private bathroom with bath, shower and toilet;
- television set;
- office-desk with telephone and modem-connection or wifi;
- laundry and towel service.
If a larger apartment is required, the fellow has to inform the VLAC office and
he/she will be charged the extra costs.
Every fellow is free to look for an apartment themselves. In this case, the fellow
undertakes all rental procedures. He has to inform the VLAC office in time and has
to bring in the original invoice every month in order to receive a refund. This
refund is limited to the usual cost VLAC pays for a standard apartment.
The Academy provides health and legal insurance to protect foreign fellows and their
- "Civil liability": covers damage inflicted on a third party.
- "Health and accident insurance": covers the costs of visits to medical doctors,
hospitalisation, pharmaceutical expenses, etc. However, it is also recommended that
the fellow obtains information in his country of origin concerning full health insurance
- "ETHIAS-assistance": for repatriation in case of serious illness.
Each fellow has an office on the second floor of the Throne building (next to the
Academy Palace). The VLAC office is located in the same building on the ground floor.
- Every office has a large desk, book cases, chairs, phone, wireless
internet, PC with internet access and e-mail address, printer, all necessary office
equipment, use of fax and copy-machine.
- In the seminar room fellows can meet their colleagues or give small presentations.
- There is a kitchen on the first floor where little snacks can be prepared. Coffee,
tea, water and juice are free.
- Next to the kitchen there is a comfortable lounge room where international newspapers
and magazines are available.
The Academy does not have a restaurant but offers every day a lunch delivery service
where sandwiches, salads and small snacks can be ordered. There are also many lunch